The retable’s original paintings – The Last Supper and The Crucifixion, painted by Ernst Wilhelm Londicer – have not survived. They were replaced in 1866 by a painting by Eduard von Gebhardt. The last report of one of Londicer’s paintings is from a 1935 issue of the newspaper Eesti Kirik (no. 46), according to which “an old painting has been found in the chancel depicting the Saviour on the cross and Mary and St. John beneath the cross. It is very much possible that this painting is the work of Londicer, and is one of the two old altar pictures of the cathedral…The discovered picture is currently framed and is in the Bishop’s office in the rooms of the consistory.”
The location of the paintings is now unknown. It was probably a picture painted by way of an engraving: this was a very popular practice in the latter half of the 17th century.